History of the University
The University of North Carolina was the first public university in the nation. In 1789, William Richardson Davie wrote the act that established the University. In 1793, he 和 fellow trustees laid the cornerstone of the first building, 老东. Students arrived in 1795, 和 UNC became the only public university to award degrees in the 18th century.
The School of 法律 was established in 1845. Other graduate programs began in 1876, followed by a summer school for teachers in 1877 和 a medical program in 1897. Over the next century, leaders broadened the mission of the University to include re欧亚体育 和 public service. Professional schools were established as follows:
- School of Pharmacy (1897), now the Eshelman School of Pharmacy (2008)
- School of 教育 (1915)
- School of Commerce, now Kenan-Flagler Business School (1919)
- School of Public Welfare, now the School of 社会工作 (1920)
- School of 图书馆学, now the School of 信息 和 图书馆学 (1931)
- Institute of 政府, now the School of 政府 (1931)
- School of Public 健康, now the Gillings School of 全球 Public 健康 (1936)
- Division of 健康 Affairs (1949)
- School of Dentistry (1949), now the Adams School of Dentistry (2019)
- School of Journalism, now the Hussman School of Journalism 和 Media (2019)
- School of 护理 (1950)
In 1922, the Association of American Universities (AAU) admitted UNC as a member, an acknowledgment of its growth in re欧亚体育 和 graduate programs.
In 1931, the North Carolina General Assembly established a Consolidated University comprised of the Chapel Hill campus, Woman’s College at Greensboro 和 North Carolina State College at Raleigh. In 1972, it created the UNC system, joining 16 state colleges 和 universities under a president 和 board of governors.
Learn more about Carolina’s history at:
One of the top questions about Carolina 和 its history is: 什么是柏油鞋跟? Learn how the nickname originated in North Carolina 和 became associated with the University’s varsity athletics teams.
Other questions 和 information about the University that center on its many historic sites 和 l和marks include:
- Carolina 校友 Memorial
- Confederate Monument
- Morehead-Patterson Bell Tower
- Unsung Founders Memorial
- 9/11 Memorial Garden
Many legends 和 good luck omens have become popular lore at Carolina. Two of the most famous ones revolve around a poplar tree 和 a well. 更多信息请参阅 虚拟博物馆网站.
大学的一天 is an occasion to remember the University’s past 和 celebrate its future. 的日期, 10月12日, marks the laying of the cornerstone of 老东, the institution’s first building 和 the oldest state university building in the nation. Read more at the 大学的一天 site.
The UNC General 校友 Association invites folks to climb the Morehead-Patterson Bell Tower several times each year, including prior to home football games 和 during 高级周每年春天.